Pages

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Unleash the Beast!


So 2014 started for me with no clear cut race to target and this is probably the reason for the slump and lack of drive to train. Previously I'd targetted a 70.3 or similar race in the previous autumn, a year ahead, well at least this is how I approached the Ironman Galway 70.3 and I'd work other races in along the way.

For this year, slow start but a road map is forming.

Lough Cutra Triathlon - The Gauntlet is on my radar. I haven't been swimming but that doesn't usually make a difference to me. In fact my best swim was at The Humbert Challenge in 2013 and I'd stopped all training 6 weeks beforehand! By May25th I'll be well able for the 90k bike and 21k run and if nothign else it's a 6 hour training event.

After that a weeklong family trip is planned for June and then it's the 5 week countdown to The Beast of Ballyhoura.

I'm part of a boards.ie team and while I've no regrets, I do wonder why I'm so quick to put my hand up for things like this. The Beast of Ballyhoura is a 40hour long adventure race.

Not one of those offroad multisport type of races generally referred to as 'messing', but a real guts or glory adventure race when you are expected to be ready for 40 hours and 300km of:
  • Mountain biking – teams should be prepared for a range of riding including single track, steep hills, gravel roads and sealed roads.

  • Trekking – will involve travelling by foot through rugged and diverse terrain. The Irish hills can be wet and boggy in places. 

  • Kayaking – kayaks will be provided by race organizers. Kayaking may be on inland rivers or lakes. Generally kayaking will be permitted during both day and night. Some of the rivers may have weirs. Teams will be advised in advance about any obstacles.

  • Swimming - teams will be required to cross rivers. We are looking at the possibility of a short swim for all team members, this won’t be any more than 150 meters, PFD’s will be available if you feel you need one.

  • Rope work. Could include abseiling, traversing, ascending etc.

  • Orienteering – orienteering is an extremely important part of the race. The course is not marked and teams are required to navigate using maps.

  • Special - as always you should expect some surprises, and special tasks
Training wise, where I stand now, the goal for the next 3 weeks is solid base work and miles in the legs of minimum 150km running (road & trail mix) 600km of cycling (likely mix of road & turbo for now).

Follow my training using the tags 'Beast of Ballyhoura' or 'Training Diary'

Are you along with me for the journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment