Pages

Friday 25 April 2014

Endure 24 - Stepping Stones to the Beast


It's amazing how easily you can be lead astray once an idea is introduced! :)

Through the middle part of last year when I was really enjoying my running I toyed with the idea of running longer and longer. Something really appealed to my sense of adventure, running late at night / early in the morning with a headlamp is something I really love doing.

Some of my best headclearing runs were done, just me, headlamp and pouring rain.

Rain I can do without but the peace and silence of the night appeals to me.

This year I'm undertaking a team challenge The Beast of Ballyhoura in August. The toughest thing I've ever thought about doing and with no idea really how to train for it (you know what you gotta do for a triathlon, so you do it) I've flying by the seat of my pants at the moments.

I had never heard of Endure 24, however when you are invited to take part in  a team by one of your suppliers the interest & temptation level goes up. Here's the low down:
 
How does Run24 work?
 
You can enter the race as a solo runner, two runners (pairs), team 5 (3,4 or 5 runners) or team 8 ( 6,7 or 8 runners).
 
Solo runners  
 
Start with the main race at 12.00pm, they then carry on running as many laps as they can for 24 hours. They may have support i.e. a helper to feed them on course or stop for rests and food when they wish.
 
Pairs & Teams
 
Start with the main race at 12.00pm, they then carry on running as many laps as they can for 24 hours, each member of the team must complete at least one lap. You cannot substitute runners or use runners not registered in your team.
 
Laps & Breaks
 
You can take a break anytime you like but always leave/enter the course at the correct point. You can carry on and do more than one lap or handover to your partner or team member.
 
Night Running
 
The course is not lit but is marked with glow-sticks. It is compulsory for runners to wear head torches or carry a hand torch from 8.00pm, ideally both.
 
Feed Stations
 
There are feed stations at the exchage point and at half way. Solo runners will also have an area next to the course where they can leave their own food and drink.
 
Results
 
All runners have a time chip and each lap is recorded as you pass the exchange point (a real time screen will update the positions in each catergory so that you can check your progress).
 
Runners can set out on a final lap as long as they reach exchange before 12.00pm and this lap will count towards the final result.

Image from the Endure24.co.uk website

Having been invited, sure it'd be rude not to go and it's one way that myself and Mrs. AKW can get away for a weekend. I hope she'll like the surprise ;)

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment