Pages

Monday 18 November 2013

Eddie Murphy Memorial - Sixmilebridge Half Marathon


I got a call during the week, reminding me that my name was not on the entry system for the BMOH Eddie Murphy Memorial run at the weekend.

Maybe it was an oversight & I had forgotten to enter it?

Such are the privileges of working in a running store and being involved in the local running community that organisers sometimes call you to remind you that you are meant to be running!! :D

My first experience of running in Sixmilebridge was this summer during the 10in10 (Ten marathons in ten days) in blistering heat. Literally the tarmac was blistering & sticking to your footwear,31.5°C would do that to you. Anyway, back then I had the honour of running alongside some of the participants, I was running a half and it was a humbling experience to say the least to be in the company of people who were doing a full marathon every day for ten days.

That humbling experience returned on Sunday. In such esteemed company and among the hardship that some people were going through, one would feel like a fraud just doing a half marathon. At least that's how I felt as I passed some people with 'The miracle is not that I finished...its that I had the courage to start' on the back of their shirts.

We met at the marquee tent where registration took place. A no-frills event in that there are no goody bags, T-shirts, or any other fancy race items. There was water available and coke and presumably the long course runners had their own aid stations and needs looked after.

€20 entry fee and every penny of it going to Milford Hospice in Limerick at the request of the Murphy family. From the BMOH website: 
BMOH are proud hosts of the one of the most unique marathons in Europe which also includes Half marathon , 30 miles & Double marathon options all on the one mile loop with the infamous heart break hill to be tackled on each lap.
Due to tragic and Ultimately passing of Eddie Murphy , BMOH AC hold a multi marathon event each November in Sixmilebridge in Honor of Eddie which takes place on a unique one mile loop.
About Eddie Murphy: For those of us lucky enough to have known Eddie, he represented what endurance running is all about for many of us, Pushing towards new personal running goals while enjoying & making new friendships along the way.  Eddie, before his untimely Death in April, 2011, had completed over 45 marathons
 The one mile loop is a challenge, from the start you run downhill through the timing mats and down to the village of Sixmilebridge, left and left again brings you to the bottom of the hill which drags all the way back up and around again.

I bumped into a few familiar faces at the starting area, its not a race but you still check your markers ;)

Chatting to Frank, John & Chris among others and we were soon given the clear road and away we went.

I ran with Chris, chatting to the bottom of the first climb and I let him away on after that. He stormed up the hill & I knew I wasn't ready to go that hard just yet! I trotted around the next few loops, passing people and congratulating them on their efforts. 'Welldone 10in10' that kind of thing. Its hard not to sound like a tosser, congratulating people are you start lapping them. As I say, its a fraudlent feeling and humbling.

After 4 or 5 laps I heard a wheezing and panting behind me, Ah! that must be Mr. Wiggle!! :)

No, in truth he glided up alongside and we spent the next miles talking life. Bertie got a bit of smack talk going with the MC and there was a surge to the mat on each lap.

We got given out to for chatting on the hills, but honestly, I ran to the finish with a smile on my face the whole way round. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the company was great and with no real pressure I ran one of my best half marathons.

We decided / agreed to finish together along with Charlie whom I met on the route (a friend of Frank) the three of us crossed the line together, the times show that. A great day out, hats off to those who ran before us and to those who were running behind us.

Delighted to be a part of this day and part of the memorial for Eddie Murphy.


No comments:

Post a Comment