Pages

Thursday 28 August 2014

[RACE REPORT] - Club Vitae Coast Road 5km

If you are in work there is Sound below which can be muted!


It's been a while since my last 5km...

In fact it's been a while since I've done any speed work at all, having been consistently doing long endurance runs this year.

Rocking up to the Club Vitae Coast Road 5km last night - this is the 2nd year - I was to be in with an opportunity to run an event rather than being a spectator. Last minute decisions and all that!!

There was a good turnout, some 300 hardy souls fluttering around the Garda Station in Oranmore with some of the usual suspects off up the road warming up. Of course I warmed up chatting with everyone as we mixed around the starting area.

A quick chat with +Matthew Bidwell who is providing a great service with his new business Fitness Analytics in Claregalway. Check it out!

So back to the start line. Hugh had a few words to say, thanking everyone while reminding us all that this was a fundraiser for Western Alzheimers. A quick 10, 9, 8 ....3, 2, 1 and we were off!!

Lack of experience at this distance and lack of speed work and the extra poundage quickly showed as my best lap was my first! I went out faster than I should have, happy to be reeling people in gradually and hit the hill where I tell all my #Zero25k group to run evenly, punch with the hands and settle over the top.

Of course the Coast Road route is not forgiving as over the top you tend to catch the wind to the turn at 2.5km (10:32) and then I was dragging my sorry ass back towards the finish. A couple of lads set in behind me for km 3-4 leaving me to do the work to the finish. I did manage to lift it a little, not a lot, but a little and finished over the line in 21:42 I think was the official time.


Not too bad a result for the abysmal amount of work I put into preparation. :/

Great organisation by Maree AC and well done to all who ran last night.

My +Polar Flow #Relive and file are below if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment